Welcome to the South African Cherry Growers’ Association (SACGA) website
Establishment of SACGA
The South African Cherry Growers’ Association (SACGA) is a registered non-profit company formed in 2001, to provide structure to the industry by means of promoting the common interest of local cherry producers and address common issues that pertains to the collective industry.
Main objectives include the following:
- To ensure an economically viable and sustainable cherry industry via coordinated joint actions as agreed from time to time.
- To establish uniform grading regulations for cherries produced in South Africa.
- To liaise with other cherry groups in the world to exchange information of mutual benefit.
- To look at ways of promoting sales and consumption of cherries on the local and export markets.
- To facilitate research into the growing, packing, storing and marketing of cherries.
- To disseminate knowledge regarding production, packing, marketing aspects of cherries.
- To ensure the availability of certified plant material.
HORTGRO, the umbrella industry service organisation for various horticultural industry organisations acts as secretariat for SACGA. In addition SACGA liaises with HORTGRO Science which purpose is to direct and guide research to address short and long term needs of the industry.
SACGA Executive Committee
The SACGA Executive Committee consists of the four members (regional representatives), namely;
- Koos Pretorius – Chairperson / Mpumalanga region
- Maasdorp Maree – North Eastern OFS
- Gerrit Higgo – South Eastern OFS
- Arno Marais – Western Cape region
- Click here to view the SACGA Constitution